March 10, 2014:
I'm doing great! This week was a little bit of a roller coaster,
but I'm starting to get used to that:). H dropped us after only two
really good lessons, saying that someone told him our church was too
strict.
We had zone conference on Wednesday with the Mission President. It was fun!
On Monday our P-day, we got to see a recent convert. She is the sweetest lady! She has two daughters who at first didn't like that she joined our church, but are now happy for her and support her. We talked to her about the temple. She is going there next week, I think. The Stake here is making a point to have a temple time set up every Tuesday/Friday for recent converts to go do baptisms for the dead.
Then we saw, a woman who is one of 3 women in our Ward who
just had a baby! We sang I am a child of God, which seemed to make the
baby quiet down, since he was fussing when we got there.
On
Tuesday we saw lots of people. There is a couple in which
the wife is Less active, and the husband is a nonmember. The wife used
to be not active at all, but has been going to church every Sunday in
March. The husband used to be Catholic, but got tired of the politics in
that religion. He is curious about our church, and wants to support
his wife. We went over the Articles of Faith with them, and the husband
seemed to like them a lot. He is going every other Sunday to our church
since he works the other Sundays.
I am running out of time so I am going to tell you about
two funny tracting experiences we had this week. One was on Thursday I
think, and we had the impression to go to a specific street on our GPS.
So we went over there and started. The first house we went to was a
Jehovah Witness who let us right in and talked to us for about an hour,
comparing the Bible to ours and the Book of Mormon(which does not work
very well, since they are not the same book and she seemed to think they
were supposed to be). Then we talked to to men smoking oustide their
"Rainbow" apartment, which is a place for people that were in car
accidents to live in. There are so many people here that have been in
big car accidents! And as a side note, there are also a lot of potholes.
And I am not kidding.
Alright the first funny tracting qoute was this lady that
said they were eating dinner. We apologized and asked when a better
time would be. She said "I don't know, not is not a good time we eat at 6
every day". Sister Lee then asked her if we could stop by tomorrow in
the afternoon. The lady said "Well we may be here but we might not be
here, I don't know we could but we probably won't I just don't know".
But this time it was obvious she just didn't want to talk to us! But she
didn't actually say that...:).
Then there was this man that when we asked him if he
wanted to read the Book of Mormon, he smiled and said "I am not that
crazy" and shut the door. That cracked me up when I thought about it
later. It's funny what people believe when random people tell them about
"The Mormons".
We have not baptism dates yet, but we have gotten one man
named who said he will think about it, and another who said he will
consider going to our church.
March 24, 2014:
God works in mysterious ways. On our P-day this past week we met with some people. This one guy is a recent convert who just got baptized at the beginning of March. At the end of our meeting, I prayed for him that he would have a great time on his trip to Seattle to be with his family and that he would be comfortable as he told his family about the choice he made to join our church. He looked up at me at the end of my prayer and said thank you. You never know how a prayer is going to effect another person. We then took a less active, to a meeting (new investigator). I realized then that I was lacking in faith. I did not think this guy was even going to show up but he did and we had a great lesson. We committed him to go to church this past Sunday and be baptized. We then tried to see him again on Saturday, but were unable to because the assistant manager of the place told us "The Rainbow House" (for those who have spinal and brain injuries from car crashes) is under a strict no soliciting policy. After much asking, we were able to leave our number for him to call us back. He was not able to go to church because of this, but after much thought and prayer we have decided to go back to his house at another time this week to see if we can talk to him.
We also met someone else at the Rainbow House, who is this funny black guy that likes to "harmonize" when we sing Primary songs with him. He is a Jehovah Witness(we think), but he knew I am a Child of God and gave us his number, so hopefully we will be able to meet with him sometime this week.
This week I gave my first District Meeting instruction today on Listening when we teach our investigators. I was nervous at first but it went pretty well.
THE STARBUCKS MIRACLE: This past Tuesday Sister Lee and I had to go to the restroom, so we stopped at Starbucks to do that and buy something for the road. It's amazing how God orchestrates meetings between us and his children. There is a former investigator who Sister Lee has not seen in a while because of his job at Starbucks. She was actually telling me about them as we returned to our car when she looked over to see that he was sitting smoking in the car next to ours! We talked to him, and almost were able to set up a time, but in the end it didn't work out. I know however, that it was meant to happen because of the too perfect timing. We tracted a lot this week, because so many of our investigators canceled on us this week. I find it a blessing, because I am still anxious about talking to strangers, but tracting has made me slowly more comfortable with it.
I taught my first Plan of Salvation Lesson this week! It
was not that hard, since it was in a member's home but hey I did it! I
am still getting used to being around kids, because there are a lot here
in my Ward! It 's because almost all of the ward is young families who
are going to the Universities.
This week Sister Lee, Frost, Haywood and I are going to be
doing a musical number at the monthly "I Am A Mormon" Devotional. I am
very excited, because it will be my first time going to this devotional.
I am also looking forward to it, because we are going to get 4
investigators to go! There is this man that we met just last week at a
bus stop who is looking for a church, so we got him a ride to the
devotional!
This morning has gone well so far-before 8 oclock we had
seen a our friend and got to go walking with her at 6:45 this morning. Then we
went back to the apartment and almost got inside but a woman on her
balcony started talking to us, so we went up to her apartment and talked
a little bit. I will call her Carm. Carm is looking for a church that
her husband and her can go to. We gave her a Restoration Pamplet, a dvd,
and our number and got hers. She immediately started watching the dvd.
She was drunk when we talked to her, so hopefully she remembers the
conversation and what she learns in the dvd:).
Love, Sister Weight

No comments :
Post a Comment
If you would like to make a comment, feel free as long as it's nice!